How Much Does Spray Foam Insulation Cost
Spray foam installation, or spray polyurethane foam, is an alternative form of insulation. When correctly installed, it insulates your home by keeping off heat and cold from the outside. The foam is composed of two separate chemicals, isocyanate and polyol resin, that are mixed together in the nozzle. The high-pressure nozzle creates a foam that is sprayed on walls, door frames, and window frames. Spray insulation cost differs depending on different factors such as type, area, and labor.
There are two types of spray foam insulation: Open-cell foam or half-pound foam and Closed-cell foam or two-pound foam. Open-cell foam is low-density foam and has an R-value of 3.5 to 3.6 per inch. Open-cell foam is not recommended if you live in an area with cold climate. Closed-cell foam is denser and has an R-value of 6 to 6.5 per inch. Closed-cell foam can withstand cold weather conditions. It also uses hydrofluorocarbons that have been known to contribute to high global warming effect. R-value is the resistance of the insulating material to heat. Closed-cell insulation foam also acts as a water barrier and an air seal which makes it more expensive.
The higher the R-value, the greater the insulation. Spray insulation cost is different for each type of spray insulation. Open-cell spray foam insulation costs $0.44 to $0.65 per board foot. Closed-cell spray foam insulation costs $1.00 to $1.50 per board foot. To get the best value, make sure you hire an expert. Professional spray foam insulation cost you more if you hire an expert, but you can be assured of quality installation.
Costs Involved in Using Spray Foam Insulation
When estimating spray insulation cost, there are a few factors you need to consider:
- New or old home – Professional spray foam insulation cost is cheaper if it’s for a new home. The contractor just needs to coordinate with the engineer or construction workers to determine the best time. For existing or old homes, better to ask the contractor for an on-site visit to help you with the estimates.
- Labor – Average professional spray foam insulation cost of labor is at $312. 53 to $844. 32 for 10 hours’ worth of work. Factors that affect labor cost are workload, location, and seasonal rates or wages. The good thing about spray foam installation is that it is easy to apply. Labor cost will not be that high if the job gets completed in a few hours.
- Quantity – How much of your home needs insulation? Again, invite the contractor or workers for an on-site visit to help you estimate spray insulation cost.
- Type of insulation – As mentioned, Closed-cell spray foam insulation is more expensive than Open-cell spray foam insulation. Make sure to mention which parts of your home need insulation and factor normal climate in your area to help determine the type of insulation.
- Region – The weather and climate in your region will be a factor in determining the type of insulation. Costs of labor will also be affected by your location.
Saving Money by Using Spray Foam Insulation
Spray foam insulation is one of the best investments for your home. The average professional spray foam insulation cost is $1,795 including labor cost.
Spray foam insulation helps maintain the temperature in your home. It keeps the cold and heat out. Consequently, you save on energy cost because the outside temperature will not affect your air-conditioning or heating system. Spray foam insulates your home 50% more than fiberglass insulation or other traditional forms of insulation. Imagine saving thousands of dollars a year on energy cost!
You will also save cost on repairs because spray foam insulation keeps moisture that causes mold and mildew at bay. You don’t have to keep replacing your walls, ceilings or insulation. Your heating system and air-conditioning will also be protected by the insulation.
Spray foam insulators also contribute to noise reduction. If you live in a noisy neighborhood, you don’t have to install additional “noise reducers” or buy white noise equipment to drown the noise.
Your home will also be more durable and the strength of the structure will be increased. Since spray foam insulators keep moisture away from external walls, mold and mildew will not damage the structures.
If you are purchasing a new home or renovating your home, bargain with the contractors to have similar jobs done at the same time. For example, ask the contractor to schedule the spray foam insulation done after the walls have been installed. It will save you and the contractors a lot of time, effort, and money.
Where to Install Spray Foam Insulation
One of the best reasons to use spray foam installation is due to its moldability. It easily conforms to curves and irregular spaces. It reaches even the hard to reach corners which guarantee insulation in literally all corners.
Here are the best areas in your house to use spray foam insulation:
- Attic – envelope your attic to keep the hot air out. Install it on roofs, near ducts and even on the floor.
- Basements – Seal your basements and consistently maintain the temperature. It can be installed on insulation pipes or ducts, ceilings, floors, and between finished walls.
- HVAC system – Use spray foam installation around pipes both on the heating system and air-conditioning system. It conserves heat energy and prevents air loss, which lessens your energy costs.
- Window-frames and door-frames – To prevent the cold draft or hot air from getting inside your home spray foam acts as a barrier. Since it conforms to corners and irregular shapes, it is easily applied to door frames and window frames.
Other Factors to Consider
Make sure that you hire professionals to install spray foam installation rather than do it yourself. Inexperienced application of the spray foam may be hazardous to you and to your home. The spray foam components are hazardous to your health if inhaled or taken in. Also, if the spray foam is not installed properly, there may be holes and spaces that may be overlooked. You won’t end up saving on cost of there will be more damages than benefits. For an additional amount, you can be guaranteed of safety and security when installing the spray foam insulation.