You might think that having shiny, manageable hair only happens in hair product commercials. Especially if you have dry and frizzy hair that no shampoo or conditioner can tame. Well, you actually have a way to achieve that look. And that is through Brazilian Blowout.
The Brazilian Blowout may be popular as a hair smoothing method. However, it’s actually a liquid keratin formula used by salons to get rid of your hair’s frizz.
If you’re opting for a treatment using the product, just how much does a Brazilian blowout cost?
Average Brazilian Blowout Price
According to Hair Style Camp, the Brazilian blowout price ranges from $150 to $500. The exact price of the treatment will depend on several factors.
The salon (and its location)
- If you’re living in an area with several salons, the prices will be competitive or may begin with the
lowest range. Other locations with few establishments might charge higher fees.
- Salons that are popular might charge higher.
- The longer your hair, the more time it takes to treat it, and that equates to a higher price.
- Thick hair, generally, is hard to manage. If you have thick hair, the stylist will need to work on smoothing it for a longer time.
- Your hair type will affect how smooth your hair will be after the Brazilian blowout.
- If you have straight hair (but frizzy), the treatment is almost simplistic and will leave your hair radiantly shining.
- If you have a wavy hair, the stylist will find it easier to tame the frizz. This will result to your mane appearing naturally straight and healthy.
- If you have curly and frizzy hair, the stylist will take some time to tame the frizz. After the treatment, your mane will be frizz-free. Also, your natural curls will look gorgeous and shiny.
The above Brazilian blowout price range typically applies to treatment for women. That said, GQ.com says that men who want to opt for this hair smoothing method will likely spend around $115.
Sample Salon Prices
How much does a Brazilian blowout cost based on salons? We looked up some prices posted by several establishments online.
The following list will give you an idea of how the costs differ depending on the service provider:
- Bello Spa (Eugene, Oregon): $250
- The Smooth Bar (San Diego, California): $150
- Wade Gordon Salon (Amarillo, Texas): $350
- Pigalle Salon (Southfield, Minnesota): $200 (for short hair), higher for longer and thicker hair
- Dear Clark Salon (Dallas, Texas): $300+
If you’re in a different location other than the ones provided by our short list, you can look for other salons using sites like Yelp.com. The said web site will help you look for establishments and will also give you an idea of how a beauty shop provides service by reading customers’ reviews.
Brazilian Blowout Products
Since we have mentioned that the Brazilian Blowout is actually a name of a keratin formula product, you might wonder if you can purchase one yourself. Well, you can purchase it online.
The most popular Brazilian Blowout product is the Acai Deep Conditioning Masque which you can buy from Amazon. This conditioner is effective for both men and women. You can also apply it on colored hair. Furthermore, it offers UVA and UVB protection. The best news? It is affordable.
Apart from individual items, you can buy sets of Brazilian Blowout shampoos and conditioners from Amazon with prices ranging from $20 to $50+. Some of the combinations you might want to check out include:
- Acai Anti-Frizz Shampoo and Conditioner set, 12 oz.
- Brazilian Blowout Anti-Frizz Shampoo Conditioner Duo with Masque
- Brazilian Blowout Anti-Frizz Shampoo Conditioner Duo and Smoothing Serum
- Brazilian Blowout Anti-Frizz Shampoo Conditioner Duo with Balm
You can also try other products available at Amazon. One example is the Professional Complex Blowout with Argan Oil sold by Keratin Research. Its improved formula will surely strengthen and condition your hair. However, if you’re buying it for yourself, you will need the help of another person to apply it (as indicated in the product description). Nevertheless, the price of the product plus a help of a friend will cost you less than visiting a salon.
As we’ve said before, performing a DIY treatment will not be easy if you’re alone. Indeed, you will only spend about $50 if you’re going to do a Brazilian blowout in the comforts of your home. However, if you fail, you may end up paying more to repair the damage.
So, rather than doing it yourself, ask someone you know to help you. Make sure that the person who aids you has the know-how for such treatments. If he/she will not charge you anything, then you will surely save a lot of money.
Costs Compared To Other Treatment
A Brazilian blowout is not the only treatment out there that can get rid of your frizz. Several salons will offer you other straightening/texture-enhancing services.
Here is a list of some sample services from a few salons we’ve mentioned earlier:
Dear Clark Salon
- Keratin: $300+
- Keratin Express Blowout: $200+
- Demi-Texture: $120+
- Relaxer/Texturizer: $60 to $85
The Smooth Bar
- Adorn: $150
- Global Keratin: $150
- Keratin Complex Express: $100
- Keratin Complex Blonde: $200
- Keratin Complex: $200
- Advanced Keratin: $200
- Chocolate Keratin: $200
- Hair Botox: $150+
- Keratin Complex Hair Smoothing: $200+
- Keratin Express Blowout: $120+
- GLOBAL KERATIN Hair Smoothing: $200+
You can notice that most of the above services cost less than a Brazilian Blowout. Of course, a lower price means the results will last for a shorter time. Some of them, especially the keratin ones, will require you to leave your hair alone for a certain period.
What To Expect
A Brazilian blowout typically lasts for an hour up to two hours depending on the length, thickness, and type of your hair. Following are the steps for the treatment:
- The treatment will begin with your stylist applying shampoo and conditioner on your mane. This first step is usually done three to four times.
- After that, your stylist will dry your hair a bit.
- Your stylist will then apply the formula from root to tip in a section by section manner.
- After applying the formula, your stylist will blow-dry your hair.
- Your stylist will then seal it in with a flat iron heated to 450 degrees.
- After that, your stylist will rinse out the treatment and apply a deep conditioning mask on your hair.
- Finally, your hair will undergo another blow-dry.
There is no “downtime” after you receive a Brazilian blowout treatment. You can wash, tie, and style your hair or go exercise as soon as you leave the salon. Your brand new hair will also last for up to 12 weeks (or 3 months), provided that you maintain it with complementing shampoo and conditioning products.
Aside from knowing how much does a Brazilian blowout cost, here are other tips to make sure you will get what you pay for:
- Make sure your stylist is certified. Applying the keratin formula (along with using a flat iron) requires a degree of expertise so as to avoid any hair damage.
- Ask around for feedback regarding your preferred salon. Do most of their customers approve of their prices and services? Does the salon use a formula that won’t harm your health? Online reviews and face-to-face interviews will help you determine if an establishment has a good reputation.
- Go through the entire list of chemicals a salon is using for the treatment. Certain chemicals, such as formaldehyde, is said to be hazardous to a person’s health. Do ask the salon what their formula is made of and if the percentage of each chemical is acceptable.
- Be wary of salons that offer Brazilian blowouts at rock bottom prices. Generally, the treatment is expensive as it uses specific chemicals and requires certified stylists for its application. If the service is too affordable to the point that it’s suspicious, then you better look for another salon.
A Brazilian blowout is a treatment that will make your life easier as far as managing your hair is concerned. Do opt for this straightening/smoothening method if you have the chance and money. Surely, you’ll never take care of your crowning glory the same way again!