How Much Does Car Painting Cost
Nowadays, a car is seen as a status symbol. People may see individuals with high-end cars as the rich and successful ones while those with standard vehicles are sometimes considered the middle-class persons who have enough resources to sustain for their every day needs. However, the concept of a car as a status symbol does not have to stay that way permanently. Even when you have an old and used car, you can always make it look like a brand new vehicle if it undergoes a car paint job. But how much does it cost to paint a car?
According to Cost Helper Cars, the price of a car paint job ranges from $300 up to $20,000, depending on the car model, what type of car paint is used and the method how the paint is being applied on the car.
Generally speaking, professional car painters use spray guns to make sure that the automotive paint is applied evenly. But before the application of the paint, the professionals have to mix the colors properly, then apply it smoothly in layers, which may take from 12 to 24 coats or as much as needed.
- $300 to $900
If you are on a tight budget, then you can have this price range for your car paint job. However, not all shops offer these costs for a car paint. For this cost range, the painters usually use a cheap synthetic enamel paint with only a few coats for the job.
There are instances when they do not paint some parts of the car such as the door jams or the inner layers of the hood. And sometimes, they mask off the parts instead of removing them, causing for the paint to stay in areas where it should not be even there.
Yes, the costs between $300 to $900 are very cheap price, but you have to expect that the work and the result may not please you or make you happy.
- $1,000 to $3,500
How much does it cost to paint a car with the use of a higher quality of auto paint? Apparently, it can have a cost range between $1,000 to $3,500. But unlike the first one, you can expect that the car paint job is done thoroughly with the use of a branded and professional-quality auto paint. The costs also vary based on the following factors:
– model of your car
– its make and condition, which pertains to the number of dents and scratches as well as the amount of rust
– and if there is a need to paint the vehicle’s engine area or any interior parts
This cost range also includes extra preparatory work like sanding and removing of dents and rust spots. The job is completed with three to five layers of clear coat that are applied to protect the base color, creating that smooth and shiny car look.
- $2,500 to $20,000
In cases when you really want to bring back, or maybe, give your car a touch of an exquisite look you have been longing for, then you can spend between $2,500 to $20,000 for a well-deserved car paint job. This cost range is typically for a showroom-quality, customized work, but the expenses apparently depend on the following factors:
– model of your car
– its make and condition (presence of dents, rusts and scratches)
– and other significant factors that the client wants to include
Since this has the highest price, it also uses an auto paint with the highest quality. In some cases, these automotive or car paints may cost more than a hundred dollar for only one quart. Furthermore, the professional painters will provide more prep work that includes:
– car sanding down to its bare metal parts
– removal of dentures and scratches
– application of auto paint, between 20 to 24 layers
– application of clear coat, six to eight times
– premium selections like adding details and other designs done by an airbrush artist or a two-tone metallic auto paint
Finishing this car paint job will take, at least, one month, which is ideal to make sure that everything is done accordingly well and that you get your money’s worth without any sign of regret.
Other Estimates of Car Painting Prices
How much does it cost to paint a car for a Toyota Corolla? Ford F-150? or a 1969 Corvette? The aforementioned prices do not suggest what specific types of car they deal with. But HCDMAG has presented a few estimates of car painting prices for particular vehicles.
*Toyota Corolla. If you have this car model, then you can spend around $750 for the car paint job. Such price already includes the applications of base paint and clear coat. However, it does not have prep work like sanding and removing of dents. There is also no removal of trims for the said price.
*Ford F-150. This is a pick-up truck, which is normally big in size. The estimated car paint price for this particular vehicle is about $2,500. Professional painters will use a high-quality auto paint and apply clear coat. To ensure that the paint is evenly spread out, the trims will be removed. They will be reinstalled after the work has been completed.
The price does not include the removal or repair of dents, but if you there is a need to do that particular, then you may need to pay more than the suggested cost.
*1969 Corvette. Just in case you don’t know what this car model, the 1969 Corvette is a classic car. It is an old model, but it still boasts of having an exquisite look of a distinct vehicle. Apparently, the estimated paint cost for a 1969 Corvette is around $7,500, which is the price to bring back its original color. It also includes the following prep work:
– applications of base auto paint and clear coat
– body repair
– removal of car glasses and trims
Land Rover Painting Cost
Land Rover, one of the well-known car brands today, specializes in manufacturing four-wheel-drive (4WD) vehicles. Some of the sophisticated and durable 4WD models it has popularized are Defender, Freelander, Range Rover, and Range Rover Evoque. And because these automobiles are relatively bigger than other types of vehicles, their prices usually cost higher than other cars. This goes the same with other maintenance and service costs like car painting. As such, how much does a Land Rover painting cost these days?
The Land Rover painting cost ranges from $1,000 to $10,000. However, the prices significantly depend on the type of painting job you wish to avail.
– A low-end car painting typically costs $1,000. For this type of service, your Land Rover gets a vague appearance, does tape trim, and uses low-end products for the car painting process, paying less attention to the details.
– There is also the mid-range car painting, which can cost between $1,000 to $5,000. This consists of a factory-style finish as it removes most of the trims on the vehicle while using high-quality products. Moreover, the details are given more attention than the first type. This is also ideal for those who wish to get satisfactory car painting job without spending so much money.
– Finally, the high-end car painting costs around $4,500 to $10,000, depending on the size of your Land Rover. Despite spending more, your car will definitely get the best car painting services. You are assured that your vehicle looks exceptional, just like how a brand new Land Rover looks like. All trims are removed using high-quality painting products.
Apparently, these are just estimated costs. The prices will depend on your Land Rover’s make, year, and color, as well as, your location and the service provider.
Do-It-Yourself Car Painting
If all the prices are too high for you, then you can actually do the car paint job by yourself. Of course, it would be nicer to have a professional car painter to the job, but when you have all the time in the world, you can always do the painting yourself. All you have to do is go to the store and buy:
– a paint sprayer or gun
– sand paper
– auto paint
These do not cost so much. You may even be surprised if you find out that the expenses would only be less than $300. You can watch this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy9YwfLQ6U