When a recently installed bulb suddenly went dim and there’s no way it’s the bulb’s fault, then something is wrong with the headlights. When they aren’t as bright as they used to be, to the point that it’s dying, replace them as soon as you can. If ever you have run into an accident and cracked your headlights, change them. Safety outweighs the cost to replace headlights.
Replacing your headlights is not only necessary but it’s quite vital for your safety as well. It can improve your car’s ability to flash at night. In addition to that, not only you get to be safe, but other drivers, motorists and pedestrians as well.
Everybody is not safe when the headlights are out. Also, it’s illegal to drive even when there’s one headlight out.
Just changing the light bulb?
When a headlight got burned out, it doesn’t mean that the whole unit should be replaced. Sometimes, the situation needs a simple bulb changing. Newer cars have easy access to change the lights, while older versions would take time.
In changing the bulb, your auto mechanic should inspect the switch, socket, and wirings.
Average Cost of Replacing Headlights
Headlights price differs from every car type and models. The replacement costs will also vary from each location or auto dealer shops.
- According to Repair Pals, the national average of a headlight bulb replacement costs $59 to $97. Labor costs might reach $44 to $56 and parts can be bought around $15 to $40. These are the rates when it comes to headlight replacement costs.
- Car Cosmetix charges a halogen bulb for $15 to $20, and $50 per headlight installation.
- Addison Auto Repair & Body Shop will cost averagely between $250 and $700.
- Your Mechanic published headlight replacement cost at $72 to $463. The average dealer price is often at $97 to $671.
- Buy Auto Parts say that for a Honda Accord 2005, headlight replacement reaches $208, Toyota Tacoma headlights price at $195 and the GMC Envoy at $156.
- At Car Parts, they give super cheap discounts on their headlights. From $145, they lower it to $22.26 while others have it for $270.40 before settling to $27.04.
- Walmart is also a place where one can stop by and buy headlights. A Sylvania H6054 Basic Headlight which contains one light bulb costs $8.88 while a CIPA EVO Spectras Xenon Headlight Bulb is charged at $14.29.
Other quotes are of the following
- Plymouth Voyager will cost $60 to $97, with labor rates of $44 to $56 and parts that would be charged for $15 to $40.
- A BMW M3 reaches $70 to $93, with labor costs of $52 to $67 and parts for $18 and $26. Its other model BMW 525i and 535i.
- Hyundai Sonata’s cost to replace headlight will reach $45 to $57. Breaking it down, labor will cost $26 to $34 and parts will come by at $19 to $23.
- A Subaru Justy and Subaru XT will hand you around $39 to $55 and labor of $26 to $34. Parts won’t cost you an arm for it only asks you to spend $13 to $21.
- Buick LaSabre is around $68 to $93, and breaking it down to labor costs of $52 to $67 and parts of $16 to $26.
- A Dodge Grand Caravan’s headlights price is somewhere between $60 to $82, with $44 to $56 for labor rates and $16 to $26 for headlight parts.
- Honda Accord is charged at $208, while Toyota Tacoma is $195. GMC Envoy’s headlights can be replaced for $156.
Remember, there are some car owners who will opt to using high intensity discharge (HID). These systems however, are a bit pricey and reach over $100. Both HID and LED lights are pricier than halogen lights.
A problem with headlight bulb is its own glitch and does not necessarily mean you have to go to your dealer and have all of your headlights replaced. A car’s light bulb is cheap and would cost around less than $10 to just around $70.
How to Save on Headlight Price
These are just some tips on how to lessen your expenses on those headlights.
- Shop around.
- If you’re a regular customer, try asking for their loyalty program or discounts if they offer one.
- Some retail shops sell headlights in a much cheaper price like Walmart. You can buy one and have it installed. You just have to pay more for your labor.
- If the cause of your broken headlight is due to an accident, of which you are of no fault, try asking your auto insurance dealer. At least, the whole parts of your cars will be paid for repairs and replacements.
- If you have a friend who’s a mechanic or have a friend that has a friend who’s a mechanic, try asking for help. They’ll give you a much larger discount.
- Some auto dealers have their annual check-up service. If headlights are included in their annual check-up, you can bring in your problems to them.
- DYI. If you’re mechanically good in fixing car parts, you can install the headlights yourself. Just buy a quality-made headlight that fit your budget and fix it yourself. Headlights sometimes cost not more than $10 to $90. More information below.
DYI headlight replacement
Headlight replacement is one of those auto fixes you can for yourself. It often as considered as a DIY move especially when it comes to changing light bulbs and fuses. Bulb replacement is tricky and a bit hard because it’s a bit far from your reach. Sometimes, you even have to remove your bumper. Fuse replacement is an easy.
Headlight replacement involves with a lot of wires and circuits. If you know what you’re doing and you can get help by reading the manual, then it’s going to be fine. Googling it might be okay, too.
Why is it better to spend money on a technician
You are not just spending for their time, you are spending on their skills. You rely on their skills so that your headlights will work out for a long time. You can save up to $100 for DIY. But, if you did not do it properly, you’ll be spending more in the future. Not to mention, if done badly, it will show. The police will tail you anytime soon.